What do you find in your toothpaste while purchasing it? Normally, people are in a hurry and pick up their ‘traditional’ toothpaste which they have been using for a long time. Apart from this, some people follow the advertisements but a few of them, checks the expiry date, ingredients and the flavor of the toothpaste. Here, the practice of ‘a few people’ is right!
Read More: BEWARE! FAIRNESS CREAMS ARE CAUSING CANCER
Ingredients of Toothpaste:
Every toothpaste company has its special formula and they use different measures of the chemicals. However, you may see these ingredients on the pack of toothpaste, while purchasing it.
- Humectants Material: It saves the toothpaste from hardening once opened. Mostly, the companies use the following material to prevent hardness of toothpaste:
Read More: Drinking Water Before Going to Sleep
- Solid Abrasive: It is added in the formula of toothpaste to remove food remains on teeth. Further, it polishes the teeth. Usually, companies use:
- Calcium Carbonate
- Binding Material: Toothpaste companies use it as a thickening agent to stabilize the toothpaste form. Generally, the following chemicals are considered as binding material:
- Carboxymethyl cellulose
- Xanthan gum
- Sweetener: the toothpaste has added sweetener that does not affect the teeth and prevents any cavity too. Also, it is added for the taste and the following substances are used as a sweetener:
- Sodium Saccharin
- Acesulfame K
Read More: HOW TO CONTROL YOUR EXPENSES?
- Flavor: It is an important component of every paste because, in Pakistan, consumers are more concerned with the flavor of the toothpaste. Some of the flavors include herbal, salt, charcoal, and cinnamon, etc.
Note: These flavors do not contain sugar.
- Surfactant: It is used to emulsify the flavors with the other materials of the toothpaste. Some of the examples of surfactants are:
- Sodium lauryl Sulfate
- Sodium N‐lauroyl Sarcosinate
- Fluoride: It is one of the important ingredients of toothpaste because of its properties. This mineral is known for strengthening the enamel and it prevents it from cavity too. Fluoride is added in the toothpaste in the form of:
- Sodium Fluoride
- Sodium Monofluorophosphate
- Stannous Fluoride
Note: The consumers should prefer sealed toothpaste because it is proven to be safe, and effective for the user.
Read More: GREEK ISLAND IS WAITING FOR YOU!
Which Toothpaste to Consider?
The above ingredients are the basic ingredients of any toothpaste but every company differentiate its toothpaste from other competitors. They differentiate by adding a special ingredient to their toothpaste.
People prefer this formula toothpaste for whitening effect. It contains any of the two chemicals:
- Calcium Peroxide
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Note: Charcoal Formula: It is new in the market but has the same purpose i.e. Whitening the teeth.
How do people come to know that their teeth are sensitive? They feel sharp pain, whenever they have a sip of hot coffee/tea or taste cold ice-cream. If you are one of those individuals, find the following ingredients in your toothpaste:
- Potassium Nitrate
- Strontium Chloride
Many people face this problem in later ages and some people face it even earlier due to their irregular brushing habits. So, two types of chemicals are added in the toothpaste to get rid of plaque:
- Zinc Citrate
Previously, there were a few alternatives for the smokers but now there are comparatively more companies which produce smokers’ formula toothpaste. It has stronger abrasives which remove the stains.
In spite of fluoride’s benefits, many people ignore this ingredient while purchasing their toothpaste and some of them willingly purchase fluoride-free toothpaste. If you are one of those purchasers, it is important to think again about your choice of toothpaste because fluoride-free toothpaste only helps you to clean your teeth but do not protect your teeth from decay.
Parents should purchase separate toothpaste for their kids because children’s teeth are much sensitive to any chemical. Apart from this, there is a risk of ingestion. Therefore, companies add less fluoride to kids’ toothpaste.
Read More: AREN’T ROHINGYA PEOPLE, OUR PEOPLE?
Tips to Purchase Better Toothpaste:
1. Know your dental problems before purchasing your toothpaste.
2. Prefer sealed toothpaste.
3. Fluoride is an important ingredient of toothpaste, so do not neglect it.
4. Check the expiry date and active ingredients of your toothpaste.
5. Consult your dentist, if you find any dental issue.
6. Brush your teeth for at least 4minutes which is recommended time from the world’s best dentists.
Our Mushwarah is to know about the products that you actively purchase and use. Also, know the ingredients of your toothpaste. Have you heard of a colored rectangular mark placed on the bottom of the toothpaste tube? If yes, then ignore it because it does not reveal anything about the ingredient of the toothpaste.
Which toothpaste flavor do you prefer? What do you consider in toothpaste while purchasing it? Share your reviews in the comment section below and keep visiting for more related Mushwarahs!