Every person on this planet wants to look fit and slim. Well maintaining your physique and weight could be difficult. It is easy to gain weight but it’s really difficult to lose. Obese people need to face many problems in their life. They are part of society’s gossips. People make fun of them and treat them badly. They can’t get good jobs as the first impression is the last impression. For example, if a fat person goes for a job interview, the interviewer will sketch in his mind that the candidate is fat, therefore, he is will be slow at work. Moreover, fat persons also can’t apply for certain posts like in the Army. Recently, a new diet was discovered which is called a Keto diet. It is a low carb, moderate protein, and a high-fat diet. Well, in the coming section we will tell all you need to know about the keto diet.
The main idea behind Keto or Ketogenic Diet is to reduce carbohydrate intake and increase fat intake, along with that the protein intake should be moderate. It’s mean to you can eat food with high-fat and moderate protein but must be low in carbohydrate. You don’t require to do exercise while on the keto diet.
How keto works
Well, generally it comes to mind that, how is it even possible to reduce the weight while eating a high-fat diet. Well, our body is designed in such a way that it burns Carbohydrates which is converted into Glucose. This Glucose is utilized by our body as energy and is also used as fuel for the brain. In keto diet, there are little carbs. Our body switches into defense mode and starts to convert fats into fatty acids and ketones. These ketones will be now a source of energy. In this way, your stored fats will start to burn and ultimately your weight will decrease. At this point, the body is in a ketosis state and your ketogenic diet is working.
Signs of Ketosis
Ketosis is a metabolic process, it forms ketones in the body which comes from the burning of the fat. Well, it is sometimes difficult to know that is your body in ketosis or not. Well here are some of the signs.
- Your breath will indicate that you are in ketosis. You may feel different taste in your mouth. In addition to this, you may also feel bad breath.
- Your weight will start to decrease.
- You will feel more thirsty because your body will start to dehydrate, So you must increase water intake at this point.
- As your electrolytes like calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium level will be disturbed. So you may feel muscle cramps and pain. You should maintain your electrolytes in the body.
- You may also feel a headache, weakness, and fatigue
- Stomach ache and constipation is also the sign of ketosis.
- Change in sleep and Better concentration is also the sign of ketosis.
- Low appetite
In addition to the aforementioned signs, you can also test ketones from your blood and urine test.
Benefits of the keto diet
The following are some of the benefits of the keto diet.
- It will help you to reduce weight
- It will support the acne on your face. Moreover, your skin will also glow.
- Research shows that it will keep you away from certain types of cancers.
- Your heart health will boost.
- It reduces seizures
- Research also shows that it improves brain functionality.
Read Also: Foods that enhance your Immune system
How to start Keto diet
In this section, we will discuss what you should or shouldn’t eat while on the keto diet.
Things you can use
The following are the things you can eat while on the keto diet.
- Butter, Cream, and Cheese.
- Greek Yogurt
- All kinds of meat
- Dark Chocolate
- Oils including Olive Oil, Ghee, Coconut oil, and Sesame Oil
- Vegetables including Spinach, Zucchini, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Asparagus Cucumber, Broccoli, Bell pepper.
- Fruits including Avocados, Watermelons, Strawberries, Lemons, Tomatoes, Raspberry, and Peaches
- Use Stevia instead of sugar
Things that are not allowed in Keto diet
The Following are the food that is not allowed while you are on a Keto diet.
- Beans, Lentils, Peas, and Peanuts
- Rice, Wheat, Porridge, and Oatmeal
- Low-fat dairy products
- Surgery Beverages and cola
- Transfat such as margarine
- All kinds of oils except those which are mentioned above.
Duration of Keto Diet
Well, we do recommend to visit a medical professional before you start the keto diet. Moreover, doctors don’t recommend the keto diet for a long time as it may cause a lot of weakness and many other problems. The possible side effects of the keto diet will be discussed under the next heading. The first few weeks of the keto diet is called adaption. In this, your body adapts to this new diet. If you are planning for a long term keto diet then you have to keep an eye on your cholesterol level. As due to high-fat food, your cholesterol could be altered. Some people also face “Keto Flu” it is a condition in which your electrolytes will be disturbed, so you also need to keep an eye on your electrolytes. Make sure you are using those foods which contain Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium.
Read Also: How to reduce weight
Possible Side Effects of Keto Diet
Just like other diet plans, there are certain potential risks associated with the keto diet as well. The following are some of the side effects you may face while on the keto diet.
- Constipation or Diarrhea
- High cholesterol levels due to fatty foods.
- Acid reflux
- slow growth
- Minor hair loss
- Kidney Stones
- Confusion or anxiety
- Sweating and Chills
- Frequent Urination
- Excessive thrust
However, we still recommend you to visit a medical professional before starting this diet. You must keep an eye on your electrolytes and cholesterol level.
Follow us on our Mushwarah Channel